This is the presentation that Kristina Halvorson (CEO of Brain Traffic) and I gave at Online Marketing Summit last week. Gretel Going provided a great overview of this presentation on the OMS Blog if you want to see more of the copy.
Just a couple of my own personal comments from talking with marketers after the presentation:
- Most marketers did not understand that they need a content strategy (but did after the presentation).
- All marketers we talked to are hungry to find out how to develop a web content strategy, and learn how to sell their executives on the need to have one.
- The concept of creating a web content strategy, or a more encompassing content strategy as part of their entire marketing organization, is a new concept for most of the marketers we talked to.
- Content within an organization is still incredibly political (Who owns the content?).
- Most marketing executives think that developing content should be the easy part (“Let’s go get the content”), while in fact, it’s one of the most challenging.
- Journalists, freelance writers, and PR professionals who are looking for job opportunities should be looking at how to become content strategists. In Kristina’s and my opinion, this area is the next great discipline.
Any thoughts? I’d like to hear them…