In this week’s episode of The Pivot, host Todd Wheatland is joined by a true journalist-turned-content-marketer. Brian Crisp, Editor-in-Chief at Flight Centre, the world’s largest travel agency, shares his journey from becoming a sports journalist right out of high school, to working as a travel editor at News Corp., and finally landing in content marketing at Flight Centre.
What may surprise you
- Brian is the lead singer for a band called Deadliners, performing on cruise ships and other functions around Australia.
- He grew up in Kiama, a seaside town120 kilometers south of Sydney, Australia.
- When he was 15, his coal-miner dad showed him what it was like to work underground. Though his parents thought he should become an electrician and work for the coal mine, he decided to never go back into the mine.
- Shortly after high school, his cousin, who was working at the local newspaper, got Brian an interview with the editor. Within three months, he was working in the sports department, traveling the country interviewing folks such as tennis greats John McEnroe and Stefan Edberg.
- He became editor of The Sunday Times in Perth shortly after Rupert Murdoch purchased the publication in the late 1990s.
- Brian landed at News Corp. where he was the national travel editor, producing the travel sections for its Sunday newspapers in Australia.
As a travel editor, Brian traveled up to 200 nights a year all over the world. With a wife and three kids, it was challenging to be away so much. He recognized he needed to make a change when he was assigned to travel to Fiji and thought, “Oh God, not Fiji for a week!” He needed a job closer to home. Shortly after that, he joined Flight Centre.
Create a circle of brand warriors
As the editor for a travel agency, he merges his journalism skills with a content marketing approach. He and his team work on “future proofing” their content to ensure customers engage with them at every step of the decision-making process. His goal is to make Flight Centre the go-to domain for travelers.
If I can get them in the dreaming stage … in the booking stage and then … communicating with me when they are on holidays and sharing their Facebook photos, … Instagram images, and sharing their review properties with us, they become brand warriors for us.”
Listen to Todd’s full interview with Brian Crisp here:
How do I subscribe?
Cover image by Joseph Kalinowski/Content Marketing Institute